The Turtle Takes Off on August 6th, 2011

The Turtle, my 1981 Toyota Sunrader Mini Motorhome, will be taking me on an almost 8,000 mile journey to Glacier National Park and beyond. Wish us luck and tailwinds!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Devil's Climbing Post



The Big Bear done it. And that's all there is to it. I wasn't expecting to see rock climbers and when I did, I had tears in my eyes. I sat down on the bench and gazed upwards in reverence not only for the tower, but for all those tiny souls who were brave enough to climb the straight up and down columns of Devil's Tower in Wyoming. I only have a small digital camera and could not get real close, but I hope these photos show what a feat it was. Some people along the way say that I am brave to be a woman alone travelling across the USA. I don't think it compares to this. But perhaps there is something of the wire walker and the rock climber in me. And I hadn't acknowledged this trait. So when I saw this spectacular event I realized that I hadn't given myself enough credits for bravery. Sometimes I feel like the Indian Maidens on top. Like the bear of a vehicle I am in, will go at any moment and both my home and my means of transportation will disappear into this big thing coming after me. But then when I see places like The Badlands and Devil's Tower, I know it is worth it. And today I am going along the Beartooth Range towards Yellowstone. And after that to see my stepson, Jeff DeBell in Bozeman, MT. I haven't seen him since 1994. He is the one that gave me the tip about going on the Beartooth. How bearish is that?

1 comment:

mary Stori said...

I'm really enjoying your adventures Peggy.....and I DO think YOU are brave!