The Turtle Takes Off on August 6th, 2011

The Turtle, my 1981 Toyota Sunrader Mini Motorhome, will be taking me on an almost 8,000 mile journey to Glacier National Park and beyond. Wish us luck and tailwinds!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Turtle Interior, Fashion Icon Heads North



Each year before my big trip in The Turtle, I like to do something special to the interior. Last year I painted all the upper cabinet doors, and the bathroom door a sunny yellow. This year I added curtains to the back window. I didn't have enough time to piece together some upholstery scraps I  had at home so I went to a fabric outlet store looking for material. In the back room was a bin marked: Curtains, $4.00 a pound. I found one large valence that was just the right size and a tan insulated curtain that was also the correct size. I cut both curtains in half so they could open in the middle and sewed the insulated one to the retro cafĂ© curtains so that they filled in the part that the cafe's didn't cover. All this for a bit over 5.00 and a couple hours at the sewing machine. A true find. Now The Turtle is on her way to becoming a fashion icon. And on her way for her third major trip.

I leave tomorrow for Knoxville(to visit Corinne Rovetti), Indianapolis(to visit Judie Hansen), Warren Dunes State Park in Michigan, a few other state parks along the banks of Lake Michigan, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Northern Michigan, Charlevoix, MI to visit Martha Fricke. Then over on the ferry from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Then to St. Paul, Minnesota to visit Linda Kantner, a fellow artist/writer I met in Wyoming in 2006 while I was at the Jentel Foundation. Then I will head back home by some unknown route. Maybe along the Mississippi or Rt. 66 out of Chicago.

No comments: