The Turtle Takes Off on August 6th, 2011

The Turtle, my 1981 Toyota Sunrader Mini Motorhome, will be taking me on an almost 8,000 mile journey to Glacier National Park and beyond. Wish us luck and tailwinds!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zion National Park, Utah




Zion seems to be set in high contrast at all hours and in many different ways. I found it very difficult to photograph. So the first image is of a tree casting its shadow on the Virgin River. I was hiking from The Grotto to the Emerald Pools. It was a glorious morning and I finally got some photos I liked. I was hiking along a ridge and the river was below. This led to a small slot canyon (the only one I was to see on this trip so far) and then to the falling waters near the Emerald Pools. I was dissappointed because the pools were amberish mud. There I met scads of tourist walking in from Zion Lodge. I was so glad I took the longer route and the higher road. Another contrast: the peaceful upper trail and the lower tourist laden one with the hyped "emerald" pools.  I am thankful that I am physically able to hike. Because that is how I saw the real park. In the interior. In the early morning coolness. Above the shuttle and the hustle and bustle.

No comments: